While looking up a book that I started to read many years ago, but never got to finish, I came across a list of the Top 100 Science Fiction/Fantasy books posted on the NPR web site. The list made me curious about just how many classic/great sci-fi/fantasy books I’ve actually read in my life. So below is the top 20 books on the list with notes on whether I’ve read them:
1. The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, by J.R.R. Tolkien — Yes, I’ve read this trilogy. (Of course.)
2. The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams — Yes, I’ve read the four books of this “trilogy.”
3. Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card — Yes, I’ve read this.
4. The Dune Chronicles, by Frank Herbert — I’ve read the first Dune, but none of the others in this series.
5. A Song Of Ice And Fire Series, by George R. R. Martin — No, I haven’t read any of these.
6. 1984, by George Orwell — I’m not sure. Did I read this, or is my knowledge just from cultural osmosis?
7. Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury — No, I haven’t read this.
8. The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov — Yes, I’ve read this series, and I really liked it. Asimov is probably my favorite sci-fi author.
9. Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley — Yes, I read this because my high school English class required it.
10. American Gods, by Neil Gaiman — I haven’t read this, yet, but it is literally on the nightstand beside my bed right now.
12. The Wheel Of Time Series, by Robert Jordan — I haven’t read this, although I tried to read the first book, for a few chapters.
13. Animal Farm, by George Orwell — I haven’t read this.
14. Neuromancer, by William Gibson — Yes, I’ve read this.
15. Watchmen, by Alan Moore — Yes, I’ve read this graphic novel.
16. I, Robot, by Isaac Asimov — Yes, I’ve read this.
17. Stranger In A Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein — I’ve read part of this. I don’t remember why I didn’t finish it, though.
18. The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss — Never heard of this.
19. Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut — I haven’t read this.
20. Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley — Yes, I’ve read this.
So, of the top 20 sci-fi/fantasy books, I’ve completely read 9. Hmm. I expected to have read half the top 20. But as soon as I can get to the American Gods on my nightstand, (right after I finish reading Night Watch by Terry Pratchett), I will hit the half-way mark.
By the way, the book I originally was searching for, that I had started to read when I was young, is Have Space Suit – Will Travel by Robert Heinlein.